Sweet and Sour Slow-Cooker Chicken
- 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken thighs, cut into half-inch strips
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 1 package (16 ounces) fresh or frozen and thawed stir-fry vegetables
- 1 can (8 ounces) pineapple chunks in unsweetened juice, drained, reserving juice
- 1/2 cup sweet and sour sauce
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 teaspooon grated ginger root or 1/2 teaspoon powdered ginger
- 1 large can or bag (16 ounces) cripsy chow mein or rice noodles
- 3 green onions, white and green parts, cut into 1-inch pieces
In 4-quart slow cooker, combine chicken and soy sauce; mix to coat evenly. Add the stir-fry vegetables and reserved pineapple juice. Stir to combine. Cover; cook on low setting for four to five hours.
In small bowl, combine sweet and sour sauce, cornstarch and ginger; stir until well-blended. Stir into chicken mixture. Add pineapple chunks; stir gently to mix.
Increase heat setting to high; cover and cook an additional 20 to 25 minutes.
Serve over chow mein noodles and sprinkle with the green onion. Makes six servings.
Optional: add sliced carrots, water chestnuts, or bell peppers and serve over steamed or fried rice!
Source: Hermiston Herald, October 8, 2011, http://www.hermistonherald.com