Beef Taco Skillet
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1 can (10 ounces) tomato soup
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 1/2 cup water
- 6 flour tortillas (6-inch), cut into 1-inch pieces
- 1/2 cup shredded Cheddar cheese
- Cook beef in skillet until well browned, stirring to break up meat. Pour off fat.
- Stir in soup, salsa, water and tortillas. Heat to a boil. Reduce heat to low and cook for five minutes. Stir. Top with cheese. Makes four servings.
Creamy Mexican Fiesta: Stir in 1/2 cup sour cream.
Ranchero Style: Use corn tortillas instead of flour, and shredded Mexican cheese blend instead of Cheddar.
Note: To make a low-carbohydrate version, I fried the tortilla pieces separately in a bit of olive oil, adding salt, pepper, garlic/onion powder and minced onion. In a separate bowl, spoon some of the cooked sauce over the fried torilla pieces for anyone who wants tortillas.