Pages

Thursday, April 21, 2011

Ant Poison

Ant Poison

This is NOT food!

But, it is simple and fast!

Borax (sodium borate, sodium tetraborate, or disodium tetraborate) is a mineral, produced by repeated evaporation of seasonal lakes. It is not acutely toxic, requiring significant doses to cause severe symptoms. Rats can die if they ingest 2.66 grams per kilogram of body weight. I weigh about 82 kilograms (180 pounds), so I'd need to ingest about 218 grams of borax. That's nearly one half of a pound!

Of course, I'm not a rat, contrary to what my brothers have said in the past.

Boric acid solutions used as an eye wash or on abraded skin are known to be particularly toxic to infants, especially after repeated use, because of the slow elimination rate.

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borax

Ant Poison

  • 1 cup sugar
  • 1 cup borax powder

Dip wet sponge into mixture and leave in ant pathways.

The ABC's of Boat Camping, Gordon and Janet Groene, 1994, Sheridan House, Inc.

Image courtesy of Omar Franco