Cider Scalloped Potatoes
- 2 teaspoons unsalted butter
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup 1 percent low-fat milk
- 1 cup fresh apple cider
- 1/2 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 1/2 teaspoon slat
- 1/4 teasooon black pepper
- 1/8 teapspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded smoked Gouda cheese
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) reduced-fat baby Swiss cheese
- 3 pounds Yukon Gold potatoes, peeled and thinly sliced
Preheat the oven to 425° F.
In a medium saucepan, melt the butter. Sprinkle in the flour. Gradually whisk in the milk until blended. Stir in the cider, chcken broth, salt, pepper and nutmeg. Bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly.
Remove from the heat. Combine the cheeses in a small bowl.
Arrange half of the potato slices in a shallow casserole dish or 11-by-7-inch dish and sprinkle with 1/2 cup of the cheese mixture.
Arrange remaining potato slices on top. Pour the cider mixture over the potatoes and bake for 25 minutes.
Remove from the oven and press the potatoes with a spatula. Sprinkle with the remaining cheese mixture and bake an additonal 20 minutes or until potatoes are tender.
Remove from the oven and let stand 15 minutes before serving.