Basic Tamale Potpie
This is a hearty dish that’s kind of like chili con carne, baked with a thick layer of cheesy cornbread on top. Add a tossed green salad, and it’s one satisfying meal.
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup chopped green bell pepper
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 1/2 pounds ground turkey
- A 12-ounce can tomato sauce
- A 14 1/2-ounce can of chopped tomatoes and their liquid
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 10-ounce package frozen corn, thawed or fresh corn kernels
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 3 tablespoons unsalted butter, melted and cooled
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 large egg, beaten lightly
- 1/2 cup grated chipotle cheddar cheese
- 3 links cooked andouille sausage, chopped
- 1 can of pinto beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon plus 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 teaspoons chili powder
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco plus additional to taste
In a large skillet, cook onion and bell pepper in the oil over moderately low heat, stirring, until onion is softened, add turkey, and cook mixture over moderate heat, stirring and breaking up any lumps, until turkey is no longer pink. Stir in tomato sauce, chopped tomatoes and their liquid, tomato paste and corn.
Add optional ingredients and spices if desired: andouille sausage, pinto beans, cumin, allspice, chili powder, Worcestershire sauce, 1 teaspoon Tabasco, and salt and black pepper to taste.
Simmer mixture, stirring occasionally for 30 minutes. If mixture seems dry, add about 1/2 to 3/4 cup water and stir to mix well. Add more Tabasco if needed. Spoon mixture into a large casserole dish. Mixture may be made 1 day ahead in advance and kept, covered, and chilled.
To make topping:
Into a bowl, sift together flour, cornmeal, sugar, and baking powder; add butter, milk, and egg. Stir batter until it is just combined. Stir in cheddar. Drop batter by large spoonfuls around the edge of the casserole.
Bake potpie in middle of preheated 400-degree oven for 10 minutes, then reduce heat to 350 degrees, and bake for 30 minutes more.