Chicken Tortilla Soup
Sheryl Crumpton, of Lindale, Texas says, "This soup is a very pretty dish that tastes as good as it looks. It is always a big hit when I bring it to brunch get-togethers, church potlucks, or family events. Be sure to bring the recipe, because you'll be asked for it."
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 2 medium carrots, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons minced garlic
- 3 cups lower-sodium chicken broth
- 1 (14-ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup mild picante sauce
- 1 (15-ounce) can ranch-style beans, undrained
- 1 (15-ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup frozen whole kernel corn
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon dried oregano leaves
- 1/2 teapsoon chili powder
- 1/8 teaspoon paprika
- 2 cups chopped cooked skinless chicken breast
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro
- Tortilla chips, optional
- Sliced avocados, optional
- Shredded Cheddar cheese, optional
- Sour cream, optional
Heat olive oil in a Dutch oven over medium heat. Add onion, carrots and garlic. Cook until onion is tender, about 6 minutes.
Increase heat to high and add broth, tomatoes, picante sauce, beans, corn and spices. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat, cover and simmer 30 minutes. Add chicken and cilantro. Cook until thoroughly heated.
Ladle into soup bowls and top with tortilla chips, sliced avocados, cheese and sour cream, if desired. Serves 6.
Image of dutch oven by the author.